Re: "GNU AGPL v3" license

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: "GNU AGPL v3" license
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:19:45 +0100

Noah Slater wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > One that requires the output of the software to include a prominent
> > offer of its corresponding source code, including any methods,
> > authorisation keys and other information.  That's quite a big
> > increase on being required to acknowledge the holders and terms.
>
> After talking with somone from the FSF they told me that you only need
> to do such things if you have changed the source code.
>
> For example, if I install and run Wordpress (assuming it was licenced
> under the AGPL) then I only need to provide the source and
> instructions if I alter it.

You are right Noah, only _if you modify the Program_. The AGPLv3 license
reads:

 13. Remote Network Interaction; Use with the GNU General Public License.

   Notwithstanding any other provision of this License,
   _if you modify the Program_, your modified version must
   prominently offer all users interacting with it remotely
   through a computer network (...) an opportunity to receive
   the Corresponding Source of your version by providing access
   to the Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge,
   through some standard or customary means of facilitating copying
   of software.

 Ref.: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

IMHO, it is not a hard condition for a Free Software webapp.

Davi