Re: GNU Herds -- domains to redirect

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU Herds -- domains to redirect
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:09:47 -0500

    Matt is suggesting someone else may soon register freesoftware.jobs
    and use it for purposes we won't like.

Maybe so.  But aren't there hundreds, even thousands, of domain names
that might be equally relevant to us, which someone else might get and
use for things we would not approve of?  It does not make sense to try
to buy all those domains.  Is there a special reason to buy this one?

    I think having the gnuherds webapp 'federate' with other sites (like
    xmpp/jabber or gnutella federates in a p2p network) would allow
    jobs.gnu.org to be a job site for jobs on gnu project software,

We would not want to have a job site only for jobs on GNU packages.
There are not enough such jobs to make that site interesting.
We want to put all the jobs in one site so that it will have a larger
number of jobs available.

I have nothing against this sort of "federation" feature as such.  but
I doubt that there is a need application for it, so why work on
implementing it?  There are other features to be implemented.