Re: How to install a development environment? -- Debian 'etch'

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: How to install a development environment? -- Debian 'etch'
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:11:47 +0200

Both, the production system at gnuherds.org and my development environment are
using the Debian 'etch' distribution.

GNU Herds transform the photo or logo of it users

The transform-photo-or-logo feature is known to do _not_ work if you use
Ubuntu 'gutsy' or 'hardy' as your webapp server, due such distributions ship
a too new php5-imagick package:

The GNU Herds source code is using an old but stable version of such library.
The one shipped with Debian 'etch':

  php5-imagick   0.9.11+1-4.1   ImageMagick module for php5

Ubuntu 'gutsy' was shipped with an unstable version of such library "Alpha 2".

  php5-imagick   2.0.0a2-1      ImageMagick module for php5

  Note 'a2' reference to "Alpha 2".

The API of such new library version has changed, so the image-transform
feature of the GNU Herds webapp will not work too if you install it on a
Ubuntu 'hardy' server.

I propose we follow using the Debian stable versions on our servers.

> > I downloaded this code and I am trying to install the scripts. I am
> > having some trouble with a few errors:
> >
> > Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
> > (output started at Layer-5__DB_operation/PostgreSQL.php:80) in
> > Layer-2__Business_logic/others/Language_form.php on line 178
>
> Be sure all the below configuration are set rightly in the php.ini file
> your Apache server is using:
>
>   Layer-0__Site_entry_point/doc/conf/php.ini
>

> To know what php.ini file your Apache server is using read the output of
> the below PHP script. Open such script with your browser to read the
> output:
>
>   <?php
>   phpinfo();
>   ?>

> > I get the below error and then I remove the {t} and {/t} tags from
> > line 29 on web_page.tpl so that it doesn't happen.
> >
> > Fatal error: Smarty error: [in web_page.tpl line 29]: syntax error:
> > unrecognized tag 't' (Smarty_Compiler.class.php, line 590) in
> > /usr/local/lib/Smarty-2.6.19/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 1092
>
> You have to install the Smarty Gettext translator pluggin. I will send it
> to you tonight. We are using a _modified_ version:
>
>   /usr/share/php/smarty/libs/plugins/block.t.php

See the attached the files.

Copy them as follows:
 cp block.t.php /usr/share/php/smarty/libs/plugins/block.t.php
 cp modifier.dgettext.php /usr/share/php/smarty/libs/plugins/

Please, use a Debian 'etch' machine. If you are using another GNU/Linux
distribution, and you do not want replace it, you could just install
Debian 'etch' on a Virtual machine.

> > Then I get the error below. I tried it in my /var/www/html and my home
> > directories.
> >
> > Fatal error: Smarty error: unable to write to $compile_dir
> > 'Layer-0__Site_entry_point/templates_c'. Be sure $compile_dir is
> > writable by the web server user. in
> > /usr/local/lib/Smarty-2.6.19/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 1092
>
> If you follow the steps exposed at the development-installation-guide you
> will note there is a command to change the owner and permissions of the
> 'Layer-0__Site_entry_point/templates_c' directory.

Note the step 9 at the "how to" guide [1]

    chown user templates_c   # where the user is from your httpd.conf
    chgrp group templates_c  # where the group is from your httpd.conf

  [1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/cookbook/?func=detailitem&item_id=155

> We will follow helping you to solve any problem you have. If some of the
> above problem persist, please let this mailing list know about it.

Please, raise any problem you have. So we improve the installation guide.