Re: RSS vs Atom

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: RSS vs Atom
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:02:02 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
> I propose we use RDF Site Summary (RSS-1) because:
>
> * RDF was originally issued as a full W3C Recommendation in 1999 and
>   the current specification dates from 2004 - it is stable and mature
>   and there are far more resources available for using it;
>
> * Some modern tools do not support Atom directly, but translate it to
>   RSS internally (I've worked on some of them... atom2rss.xsl anyone?);
>
> * RDF is said to be more powerful and flexible than Atom - and as XML,
>   it can also be merged with other XML formats by using namespaces;
>
> * Many of the basic parts of Atom are irrelevant for our uses;
>
> * The RSS-1 specification is available as free software
>     http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/spec
>   while I think RFC 5023 is not.
>
> * Google, Yahoo and Microsoft Live Search are all using RSS (although
>   some use the more limited RSS-2 version - but it's a simpler
>   translation than Atom to RSS) and about four times as many sites offer
>   RSS as Atom (according to my web searches).

You are right MJ!  We must use RDF Site Summary (RSS 1.0).

We should use it to inform about updates made to the listing pages:
[1], [2] and [3].

  [1] http://gnuherds.org/offers
  [2] http://gnuherds.org/pledges
  [3] http://gnuherds.org/volunteers

But IMHO we should use it too to inform about updates made to each one of the
donation pledge groups; being the update a description update or a comment
addition or update; [4].

  [4] http://gnuherds.org/pledges?id=58

I am not sure about how we should improve the design and view of the donation
pledge groups.

Maybe it should be used too to inform about job offers and volunteer notices
updates?

--
As usual, expose any disagreement, comment, etc.