gnulib-tool-py

Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Welcome

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Welcome
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:47:12 +0200

Hi Stefano,

> Wouldn't it be better if the development took place in a dedicated branch
> (or set of branches) in the gnulib official repository on Savannah?

It was my decision to have the development take place in a separate git
repository, for several reasons. One of the reasons is that Dmitriy shouldn't
be constrained with file naming and directory naming conventions. The way
the rewrite is integrated in the end (which file names, which directory
names) is something that is better decided at the end. And, as you know,
file renames get in the way of git history; at this point a move of the
code to gnulib's main repository and 'master' branch will not be much of a
problem.

> In addition, I believe most gnulib contributors don't even have a GitHub
> account (even Bruno doesn't, in fact, unless I'm mistaken).

Dmitriy should be the only committer to his code. For contributing to the
wiki, yes, I will need an account at Github.

> > so you can see the development process and all the changes.
> >
> I think the policy around here it to send each change to the mailing list for
> review before applying it; even if it is a quick fix or an uncontroversial
> change that can be applied right away, it should still be sent to the list
> as an "FYI".

What you describe are the policies for gnulib's repository. Here Dmitriy's
project will be full-speed. He does not need to ask anybody. If I disagree
with some of his choices, I will tell him; that's part of my duty as "mentor".

Bruno