Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS and PNGs

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS and PNGs
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:44:59 +1000

On Sunday 11 August 2002 10:29 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 18:47, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > However, GNUmed does not display the logo yet but now there's
> > a correctly sized empty space there.
>
> I have managed to connect from my Window's machine at work to my
> postgres server at home through an SSH tunnel. For the first time ever
> the logon screen and logo came up. (Yeeee hah!!)
>
> It connects but comes up with a "..\..\..\fontutil.cpp(350): assert
> failed: unknown font slant" that you can cancel and after a final image
> error warning the screen loads but is all messed up and the tabs do not
> work. See http://www.zeeclor.mine.nu/gnumed/screenshots/win_gnumed1.jpg
>
> Do you have any suggestions on why this is occurring?

This is because the current code is *design only*, not really functional. It
has hard coded widget positions, font types and sizes - none of which will be
allowed in the functional version.

Problem is that some developers could not shed their Windows background yet
where everything is hard coded and pre-defined and simply ignores the needs
of those with "unusual" screen sizes or font preferences etc. This will
improve over time, when they slide more and more into the free world of X
where everything is possible and no assumptions/ prejudices are valid any
more.

The other problem is that while "skinning" works automatically on GTK based
systems, such a concept of user freedom is still unknown in Windows and hence
it will not work there. This makes it more awkward to write the user
interface in a portable and still configurable way too.

Horst