Re: [Gnumed-devel] LDAP

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LDAP
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:07:51 +0200

> I believe one LDAP server on the backbone could technically handle all
> forseeable requests from all Australian doctors. Politically however a
> series of (probably) divisional based LDAP servers would be more
> acceptable and the data in them more easily maintained by Divisional IT
> and administrative officers.
In a "properly" designed LDAP schema it would be rather easy
to push subtrees around containing just the divisional
informations. That's part of what LDAP is designed to do as I
gather from the reading.

> I think any non-LAN based LDAP server would require better than modem
> connections. Synchronising a surgery ldap server with the Divisional one
> would be seamless one configured properly, however.
Actually, the data in requests and replies is not all that
much (think DNS queries) but for a non-LAN LDAP _only_ we'd
need rather reliable, continuous, cheap and reasonably fast
access to it. Certainly from a organisational point of view a
local demon would be needed. It might push-sync from the
up-level server for regional info and pull-sync once a day or
so for out-of-region data and maybe once a week/month for data on
German doctors :-)