[Gnumed-devel] PHP to drug db

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] PHP to drug db
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:05:26 -0400

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 07:21:52PM +1000, Horst Herb wrote:
> Could you make it in a way that
> - users can log in, and once logged in, add / modify data (with authorship
> always preserved & visible)
> - user can rate information (peer review) by *digitally signing* already
> existing information thus confirming that they have read it and believe that
> this information is correct
> (similar to a WIKI, only more structured)
> - version controlled changes a la CVS

Sure. [gulp].

This will mean adding audit tables to the gmdrugs schema, and referencing fields
in the key tables in the database, so each datum is assigned a unique ID.
(PostgreSQL OIDs can't be used, as cross-database uniqueness is not guaranteed.)

With versioning, is it sufficient to be able to assign a name and date to every
datum? This way, the database can by reverted by time and person.

> That way, we could have an international drug reference database in no time,
> since no matter which country I ask, people are desperate for such generic
> *free* information! There are far more people willing to type in such
> information than people able to write software.
>
> Horst

Sounds great!

Ian