Re: [Gnumed-devel] PHP to drug db

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] PHP to drug db
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:51:26 +1000

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:17, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> We are supposed to be going to one international name for each compound to
> avoid all this trouble. Whichever of acetaminophen and paracetamol is the
> winner we should use.

No. The database structure is such that you can have an arbitrary name for any
drug.

A drug is identified by a unique ID. Drug names are referenced via
many-to-many relationships with such drug IDs.
This allows not only for synonyms, but also for translations.

Names can have a "country" attribute, ensuring that whatever
language/system/country setting you chose, you get what you are used to and
what you can reasonably expect

Horst