Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrap*

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrap*
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:41:13 +0100

>> What is there probably works just that it isn't complete yet.
> Looks good to me, especially the service bootstrapping.
> The only thing that keeps me from praising it loud is that it crashes
> complaining of some import error ("ConstructorError" or something like
> that).
Ah, sorry, forgot to check in gmExceptions.py where I added
this to be raised in case of a non-specific constructor
failure (like in your __init__ you do something which can't be
done instead of failing). There's no real good way of how to
signal that __init__ failed short of raising exceptions. It
has to do with that the object itself is allocated before
__init__ is run (as was explained on python-users at one
time). Anyways, it is in CVS now.

> Additionally I would suggest to make schema-files non-mandatory on service
> setup.
Huh ? That's the whole point of the entire thing ?!?

If you REALLY want that they already are. Just give an empty
list of schema_files.

> Reason: one might want to include a already running database without
> creating it just another time.
Ah, that code ain't finished yet. There's no good automatic
way of dealing with existing databases yet. Once solid schema
tracking regarding releases is in place we can query the
gm_services table to check whether a particular version of a
service is already installed.