Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search widget timings

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search widget timings
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:34:13 +0100

Richard,

thanks !  Some commentary:

> I tried the same thing in my vb client.
Do you have 35 000 patients (and counting) in your
database ?

> It gets its data via my 100MB network from Win4lin to the e-smith linux
> server running on an old Pentium 350. It takes a little over 1 second to
> retrieve an entire patient record  including the summary screen.
Ah, I didn't even go so far since I don't have such data yet.

What my code does is:

1) find all the IDs matching the search term that I typed
2) get 'id, lastnames, firstnames, dob' for all those IDs

I added indices on some fields which helps.

Part 1) takes about 1-2 seconds regardless of search term
specifity (unless I type something that returns thousands of
matches).

Part 2) takes anywhere from 1 - infinite amounts of seconds
depending on the number of patients. 207 patients take about
60 seconds. I am not satisfied with that.