[Gnumed-devel] Re: [GENERAL] doing VALID UNTIL programmatically in SQL ?

From: Tom Lane
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [GENERAL] doing VALID UNTIL programmatically in SQL ?
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:32:05 -0400

Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:
> I have tried but not found a way to tell the VALID UNTIL clause
> something like
>     now() + '6 months'::interval

CREATE USER, like pretty much all utility statements in Postgres,
won't do any expression evaluation --- the parameters have to be
simple literal constants.

The only workaround I can think of is to do the CREATE USER inside
a helper plpgsql function that does the time calculation and then
uses EXECUTE to run the command with the appropriate values plugged
in.  It seems unlikely that this is a cleaner solution than doing it
in the client code ...

                        regards, tom lane