[Gnumed-devel] What is SOAP - Why edit area suited to this

From: richard terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] What is SOAP - Why edit area suited to this
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:25:46 +1000

Ian, I'd have to really disagree with you on the confusion of the scratch pad
and the soap stuff.

Totally different.

The scratch pad is an invaluable clinician oriented memory jogger where one
puts stuff which may or may not be relevant to the clinical care of the
patient.

SOAP stuff is far more complex (SUBJECTIVE, OBJECTIVE,ASSESSMENT,PLAN).
In this way SOAP stuff lends itself to the editing area concept and
intelligent supply of anticipated information by the underlying database,
based on its knowledge base and the doctors habits.

Simple example mum walks in with crying infant:

As the cursor hits the Subjective line:

 the text is auto-completed on the basis of i) the coding system and ii)the
doctors previous use of that text. Even as the line progresses, once the
system knows the child is febrile it will narrow down/filter to the top
likely possibilities of symptoms based on the childs age, the preceeding
symptom etc and this is presented in the phrase wheel.

As the cursor hits the Objective line, the system already knows to filter out
a popup phrase wheel contining objective findings relative to an URTI and its
complications from which typing only a couple of letters gives the line
filled in.

Hitting enter here, will automatically pop up the most likely diagnosis which
can off course be modified/changed to other options the system knows/has
learnt accessible via the down arrow key.

similarly for the treatment, which of course is linked to guidelines and takes
into account the patients age/allergies/associated illnesses/socioeconomic
status (eg may know from previous notes not likely to take a whole course of
ab etc, hence uses bd vs tds dose etc)

Notes:note this is a free form multi line text box!!!, as can/should be the
plan text box, one can add other lines such as here I've thrown in Requests
Condition |(blank here as not pre-existing illness)
Subjective|febrile 24/24;earache;left;cold
Objective |bulging red drum;left;
Assess    |acute otitis media
Plan        |ibroprofen/paracetamol;amoxycillin;review 2/52
Requests|
Notes     |?ENT referral for grommets;bla bla bla..
                bla bla bla.
Another example
Condition|Hypertension
Subjective|Home BP's too high
Objective |155/102
Assess    |poor control
Plan        |increase ramapril to 10mg;review 1 month
Requests|Cardiac echo;24hr BP monitor;bla bla
Notes      |?stressed, fighting with wife - discuss next visit

Anyway, thats vague enough, I've got a bad confusional migraine with
hemi-facial pain, slurred speech, nausea etc, so I hope that makes sense.
Have to see some patients.

Bye for now