Re: [Gnumed-devel] Visual eg of why wxPython gui a problem

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Visual eg of why wxPython gui a problem
Date: 15 Aug 2003 15:52:02 +1000

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 15:38, richard terry wrote:

> When you extrapolate this to all over the screen you run into big problems
> with trying to fit things in in a nice clean elegant way.
>
> This is a simple example of why QT is much better to work in, and will
> ultimately give a much better result.

Not neccessarily. I am afraid that you are still stuck in the VB
paradigm where everything gets hardcoded. DON'T !!!

Do not ever consider hard coding font sizes! It pisses people mightly
off who do happen to have screen dimensions different from yours.

When I chose to have a certain font size for a specific purpose, I go to
the "Theme" configuration of the window manager I use (e.g. KDE, Gnome)
and set it there. Then I expect all applications to obey my wish and
present themselves accordingly. The ones who don't (where programmers
have hard coded sizes) stick out like a sore finger, and I avoid them
wherever I can.

Hence, use relative font sizes where appropriate (which is "default" in
virtually all cases), and leave it to each user what they perceive as
ergonomic. Or, where you think you must set a default-deviating size,
create at least a configuration dialog for this in a "settings" widget
so that users who disagree with your setting can change it.

Horst