Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Qt licensing issues for GNUmed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Qt licensing issues for GNUmed
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:09:49 +0200

> There is technology which
> can be shared in both directions, I think.
I have read you refer to FEBRL (spleling?) on openhealth
before. IMO it would behoove us to consider this code being
one way to select patients.

> For example, we have
> developed a Python object-relational wrapper which improves on all the
> existing ones (there are about 6 or 7 extant ones which we found)
I should like to see that code and read the design
considerations if possible. URLs ?

> and is more general in some respects that the GNUmed business objects.
Certainly so. GnuMed business objects are *meant* to be
specific. They are not intended to be an ORM although right
now they do include a rudimentary one due to lack of selecting
and using a good generic one. I behold that it should be
worthwhile to consider using your ORM inside the business
objects.

> We also have some experimental
> (i.e. unusual) but very functional aggregate and statistical analysis
> classes written in Python and R which could plug into GNUmed at some
> stage (these classes were designed for analysing massive data sets of
I'd think that Christof (Meigen) might be interested in that
aspect for the normcurves/measurements work - R is a powerful statistical
package. It's being used in OIO, too...

> well as possibly leveraging GNUmed as a vehicle for public health
> sentinel surveillance (in which GP's information systems transmit
> aggregated, completely anonymous data on the numbers, age groups, sex
> and broad reasons for patient presentations to a centralised public
> health surveillance database on a daily or more frequent basis, to
> permit early detection of very subtle trends in things like flu-like
> illlness, asthma etc.
Tim, I have been trying to tout *exactly* that to our public health
authorities (Robert Koch Institut, Ständige Impfkommission) !
That's certainly one way of getting GnuMed installed on GPs'
desktops ...