Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:16:45 +0100 (MET)

> > believe that  the user interface available from within  this postinstall
> > scrtipts depends heavily on the responding package manager and
> distribution.
> Yes.  It's called debconf for Debian and current packages use some
> debconf questions, but this has to be enhanced.
>From what I could find on the net debconf seems to be very Debian-specific,
that is, it will almost
impossible to install/use debconf-aware scripts with a different package
manager.
While I can see the benefits of a well done Debian package that might do a
almost complete installation and configuration, I'm somewhat concerned that
this will mean that we will have to either write these installation scripts for
each major distribution from the scratch or let non-Debian users do a
installation by hand. My idea is that it would be easier to let the package
installer just do the work that can be solved without (much) user interaction.
Once
the packages are installed we could fire up a installer with whatever user
interface that runs on a large number of distributions (console, wxWindows).
The code of this installer would just depend on the same packages as the
gnumed client (for server only installs, we could have a console installer).

Hilmar