Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:04:23 +0100

> 1) Installation.
>
> I agree, the installation experience is seriously crap. I often have
> trouble if I get behind on updates, despite having been involved as a
> developer for nearly 2 years.
One thing that even I ;-)  think is bad about the current
installation process is that still fairly often client
enhancements are related to schema changes and vice versa. For
that reason I keep my public database up to date so people
have *something* to work against ...

> Installing from CVS has never been for the faint-hearted, for any
> package, this is why
> Gnumed needs to be properly packaged. Sebastian is working on windows. I
> have promised RPMs, Andreas Tille already has .debs. I urge him again to
> consider an apt-get'able repository, despite gnumed's low
> functionality.
Off-list Andreas has related some news to me that he's
considering going life fairly soon.

It may be worthwhile to consider providing two packages with
different scope: gnumed-for-real.* with only the working
plugins configured and gnumed-for-hacking with all the code...