Re: [Gnumed-devel] hacks

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] hacks
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:29:57 -0500

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

The above isn't even necessary. We can have a script called which is only used for people running from a cvs checkout.

The sh script sets PYTHONPATH and then runs "python".
I wouldn't fiddle around with PYTHONPATH, perhaps. Also, I
wouldn't do away with GNUMED_DIR, either. If we didn't have it
we would inevitably find a use case for it pretty soon.

Setting PYTHONPATH is pretty safe. On my Windows laptop and on my Linux box it was always empty, and I set it to "/home/david/working_dir/python" which is my personal python code for everything I write in python. I don't know why you wouldn't or would need GNUMED_DIR, but I'll figure out later.

BTW, PYTHONPATH is different from sys.path (which has another name in the environment world) should be moved to the gnumed/client/ directory, instead of inside the wxpython subdir.
Sounds good but: python-common is independant of wxPython, so
is business/. Thus we'd really need something like

Ok this makes more sense. wxclient is the client. business is something else. python-common is something else. Now the question is, can the wxclient directory be packaged up and can someone use the stuff in there to run a client, without needing business or python-common? Actually I don't think it really matters.

I think I know how this can all be packaged using distutils and have the extra /etc/ /usr/share/ or /usr/share/doc stuff packaged using the distros packaging system. I'll try and do it instead of just talking about it. It will take some time though

The syntax of how the files import modules would have to change,
No problem.

but after that the get_base_dir and sys.path.append could all be obsoleted I think.
No, GNUMED_DIR is still useful.

There was a typo above. It should have read "Each time you create new modules within the client/ directory, you SHOULDN'T have to go into the file and add some sys.path.append thing. "
Sure, that was understood.

David J. Grant
M.A.Sc. Candidate in Electrical Engineering
a-Si and Integrated Circuits Lab
University of Waterloo
Room DC3707
519-888-4567 x2872