Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:06:17 -0500

Hilmar Berger wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:49:50 +0100
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

I am not so sure the GnuMed modules should live in
site-packages/ (or should they ?).
IMHO no.

Last time I upgraded python2.2 to python2.3 *all* packages in site-packages/
had to be installed again (site-packages is version-specific). IMO installing
everything in python/x.x/site-specific is not the way choosen for other
languages (did you install all shell scripts in lib/sh ? all perl-programs in
share/perl/whatever ? all C-source-code  / binaries under lib/gcc ?). The only
way I could think of is that one separates generally useful modules and
installs those in python/x.x/site-specific/gnumed . There are a lot of files,
however, that should not stored there as they have almost no relationship to
python, but only to gnumed  (data files, server-related files, config files,
gnumed startup script). These should live somewhere else (i.e. in a place
according to linux file system standard).

2 weeks ago I upgraded to python-2.3 from python-2.2. Gentoo has a nice script called update-python-modules or something. I ran that and it re-"emerged" all my python software so that they get installed to the python-2.3 directory and uninstalled from the python-2.2 directory. This was about 30 packages. It was pretty painless. Using apt-get would probably be even faster, but you'd have to type in every package.

Gentoo does nothing unusual in the way it installs python modules. It just uses the installer that the packages use, and they all use distutils. All of the things in site-packages have almost no relation to python and only relation to themselves. I don't pretend to understand why they are installed here, but they all are, even python modules which aren't normally "imported" like boa and eric3. The only python scripts on my computer which aren't in site-packages are some openoffice py scripts which are hidden in the openoffice directory somewhere, and my own files, which are in my home directory, (and also gnumed-cvs). It definitely simplifies our code. gnumed will already be in sys.path, no need to fiddle with PATHs or anything like that. Simpler, shorter, standardized code is easy to maintain, and easier for new developers to grasp.

David