Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packages

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packages
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:41:28 +0100

> to a python package system, where modules are imported like this (using
> gmAllergies.py as an example):
>
> from gnumed.client.python-common import gmDispatcher, gmSignals
> from gnumed.client.python-common.business.gmClinicalRecord import
> gmClinicalPart

Ah ! OK, that allows us to separate CVS directory
reorganization from import reorganization. I agree with going
forward with this first and later changing directories if
needed.

> 1. Basically for the purpose of getting rid of the entire get_base_path
> thing in gnumed.py,
No, for the reasons that were stated several times.

> and this in gnumed.py as well:
> # manually extend our module search path
>        sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'wxpython'))
>        sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'python-common'))
>        sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'business'))
Yes ! :-)

> 3. Tells people what the imported modules relate to:

> When I see this:
>
> import gmDispatcher, gmSignals
> from gmClinicalRecord import gmClinicalPart
>
> as a new developer, I might like to know where these are coming from.
> 5. It makes it clearer what the modules are.
Excellent point ! Never thought of this before.

> The only disadvantage is that it makes import statements longer,
Never mind, sed is your friend.

> python-common has to be renamed to pythoncommon or something else,
pycommon ?

> names for that matter.  As long as no one has uncommitted changes, it
> should be an easy change.
This is what Liz was talking about. Let's call a deadline for
committing to python-common by Feb 23 24:00 UTC. Past that all
bets are off.