Re: [Gnumed-devel] use of PG inheritance in GNUmed

From: Roberto Mello
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] use of PG inheritance in GNUmed
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:36:02 -0700

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:15:09PM +1100, Tim Churches wrote:
> A quick question: in general terms, how is PostgreSQL inheritance used
> in GNUmed? I've been looking carefully at this feature of PG, and am a
> bit confused by it, because column (definitions) are inherited by the
> child tables from the parent tables, but rows are inherited by the
> parents from the child table. In other words, the inheritance of columns
> and rows operate in opposite directions, which doesn't seem very useful
> to me - or at least it isn't for my purposes (unrelated to GNUmed). Does
> this characteristic of the inheritance cause problems for GNUmed, or is
> it an advantage.

Inheritance should not be used. Sticking to the relation model as much as
possible will save us from problems and portability issues.

+----|        Roberto Mello   -  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +
+       USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club -     +
Iraqi Bingo  B-52..F-16..A-10.. F-18..F-117..B-2