Re: [Gnumed-devel] FAQ

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] FAQ
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:21:25 +0100

On Monday 15 March 2004 04:19, Jim Busser wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2004, at 5:57 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > I believe someone has proposed this before but
> > I would like to see another question in the FAQ.
> >
> > Who is Gnumed ?...I just would like to get the word out that
> > Gnumed is entirely based on volunteer work...
>
> Yes, Michael Bonert had suggested similar. Currrently at gnumed.org
> people will see only 2 of the FAQs... I had held off further site work
> awaiting Tony to improve some code and plan then to post the following
> improved version listed below (also listed at the TWiki)
>
> @ Sebastian together with the remaining set of questions will it be
> clear enough?... Jim
>
> What is GnuMed?
>
> GnuMed is a group of practising physicians, programmers and free
> software enthusiasts from around the world, committed to provide a
> superior, free software solution for community practice. Using
> tried-and-true technology, GnuMed software will start out having
> record-keeping, but will eventually cover all aspects of medical
> practice, and will interface well with 3rd-party software. Technical
> speaking, it tries to do things "cleanly", but takes a pragmatic rather
> than purist approach. Currently, data is accessed via business objects
> implemented in Python directly accessing the PostgreSQL RDBMS, but will
> access various types of data stores such as RDBMS' or LDAP.
I am afraid thtat this wording implies we are a huge group developers.
Besides of that it is absolutely correct.
I have had a recent complaint from a doctor who said that the leaning curve
for Gnumed is too steep. He considers himself not a plain user but fairly
knowledgeable. He pointed out that he was folled into thinking that Gnumed
was more complete by screenshots and Knoppix-CDs. Guess that's my fault.

Do we have a site where we list features ? It's obviuosly not enough to tell
people that Gnumed does not not do much yet. It's to fuzzy.

We might need to establish a feature matrix and use green and red to indicate
what is there and what is not.

Sebastian