Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: compat Python 2.1 vs > 2.1

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: compat Python 2.1 vs > 2.1
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:07:06 +0100

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 21:53, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > > I really love conservative people but are old versions really worth
> > > spending so much time into them?
> >
> > Took about 5 minutes and has been itching me for months.
>
> OK.  I'd noth thought that you'd be so quick.  This can only be beaten
> by an "apt-get install python2.2". ;-)
I see one can install multiple versions of python but how does it work?
calling python in a shell always point to just one executable, right ?
One would have to specify the full path to python to use a specific version ?

I don't know how Debian handles this but 'apt-get install python' on Suse will
remove the old version before installing the new one (I think).
Otherwise it complains about conflicting libraries.

It certainly is nice to keep backwards compatibility. My guess is that by the
time we deliver Gnumed to the public python as well as other packages will be
well beyond their current versions. Does anyone still use i.e. KDE3.0 ?

Time will tell :-)