Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X package install

From: Dominique Buenzli
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X package install
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:52:59 +0200

Hi !

Looks nice. Is this some functionality that comes with stock MacOS or did you
have to tweak it hard and use third party apps?

Thanks.

No this functionality comes with stock Mac OS.

You can use "Package Manager" from Developer Tools Applications (downloadable at http://developer.apple.com/tools/ ) Actually I used "iceberg" which is more complete http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Iceberg.html

For setup/starter/updater I used shell scripts made double-clickable just by renaming them .command and a chmod +x . The rtfd file containing all the resources is made with TextEdit application (similar to Wordpad in windows) and it is just drag and drop stuff...

I had a few problems making the metapackage and shell scripts tough but a few hours of tweaking helped.

Next version will be even more easy because I will try to avoid the need for the user to enter stuff into the terminal (answering yes yes yes, entering passwords etc... when using the setup script).
There will be also a desintaller.

If you are interested to know how I will do a desinstaller, it is pretty easy... it will be also quite easy to upgrade each component of the gnumed metapackage as mentionned here.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/ SoftwareDistribution/Concepts/sd_install_upgrade.html

[...]
Important

Installer does not currently support uninstalling software, although during an upgrade, it will remove previously installed files that are not part of the current installation.

That is, after the Installer has determined an upgrade is being performed, it will compare the names of files in the previous install (from the receipt) against the names of files currently chosen to be installed and remove any files not in the new install.
[...]

Thats it !

Bye

Dominique