Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: posgres cursor protocol

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: posgres cursor protocol
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:01:33 +1000

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:51, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> overhead) since the queries need to be done anyways. Sure, the
> xml-rpc server would do them locally but it would still hand
> out lists or dicts, not Python objects.

No problem at all returning Python objects (pickled and UUencoded). But it
would break compatibility with all other languages and somehow defy the
purpose of having an XML-RPC service in the first place. If we want server
side objects in Python, we should use PYRO instead.

The main advantage of implementing the XML-RPC service is having
- a platform and language independent interface to the backend
- a means of implementing server side business logic

For our Python client it also means two less 3rd party dependencies.

XML-RPC is actually a slow protocol with a lot of overhead. Requires a lot of
good design to make the performance acceptable to the end user, but it is
doable

Horst