Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS easy install and ./redo-public.sh

From: Dominique Buenzli
Subject: Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS easy install and ./redo-public.sh
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:20:38 +0200

Hi Karsten !

>> - launch/stop database script: done and works
>This is not the job of the user. If a machine needs a running
>PostgreSQL server the admin (eg root) should set it up so
>users can access it. It should start at boot and stop at
>shutdown.
>> - configure postgresql script: done but doesn't work as I wish :-(
>That only needs to be done "once" and should be done by the
>database admin, not the user.

The goal of this was to ease the work of installing by users/developers who
wants to try/help with gnumed. The thing is I think that it would attract more
Mac OS user/developer if the process of install is easier and cleaner.

Of course, once gnumed is functional, it will always be possible to distribute
only the "Gnumedlauncher" application to users.

>> sudo -u postgres /usr/local/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>That should only EVER be done once during the lifetime of the
>PostgreSQL install.
>>cd ../GnumedLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/server/bootst>> rap
>> ./redo-public.sh
>That should only be done once during the lifetime of the
>GnuMed install - which may be shorter than the PG install
>lifetime.

Yes.

>> The problem is the ./redo-public.sh script.
>No, the problem is a misunderstanding of whose job it is to
>use that script when and how. IMO.

Ok I understood. But until now who will come, install and configure postgresql
on my machine ?
Only me.... and I think that a little script would make this process easier.

>> I wish that the user doesn't has to enter the four yes and the four
>> postgres password in the terminal when using the redo-public.sh shell
>> script.
>You can switch of the "yes" by setting interactive to no in
>the config files.

Thanks.

>There likely is no way around typing in the password for
>postgres (is it really for postgres ? why does it think it
>needs it if so ?). Unless bootstrapping is done by the proper
>account (eg postgres or root).
>You may be able to worm your way out of this conceptual
>mismatch by using the ~/.pgpass file.

Ok.

>> script itself, maybe the best would be to have a small python gui just
>> to start/stop/initalize the db
>No, the user has no business fiddling with whether the
>database is running or not.

This was meant to be used by users/developers who want to try/test gnumed and
don’t want a postgresql server always on.

>> The user has to create a new user named postgres using the Blue Apple
>> --> System Preferences --> Users pane.
>Not really.

That's what is mentionned on how to install postgresql on Mac OS X here:
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
Problem is that there is no easy terminal command to add a new user, that’s
probably why it is not automatically done by the postgresql installer.

>> Contents of the Gnumed disk image
>>
>> A) GnumedLauncher.app contains the following applications:
>> - wxPython
>> - Python add-ons (eGenix-mxbase and pyPgSQL)
>Are you sure these should be in there ? IMO they should be
>installed system-wide just as PostgreSQL, no ?

Depends of what you want. Mac users/developers are generally afraid of
installing things in the system-wide. They want a clean install they can easily
remove (e.g. drag and drop to the trash). Of course if they want, they can
still install gnumed the system-wide way. Probably we should let the new
user/developer choose...
Another advantage of the “bundle” is that gnumed uses the libraries it has been
developed with.

>> B) The GnumedLauncher.app will be distributed with two double-clickable
>> applescripts which include the necessary commands to configure and
>> start the postgresql database.
>Which still sounds useful even if it does not completely
>adhere to the separation-of-duty principles outlined above.

Ok so I will keep going trying to make this configure postgresql script …

>> 2) PostgreSQL Launch script: will start/or ask to stop the postgresql
>> database. Starting the database is required for gnumed.
>rephrase: "A running database server is required for GnuMed".

Ok...

Thank you for your feedback/help !

Dominique