Re: [Gnumed-devel] trying to sort out a few things

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] trying to sort out a few things
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:50:17 +1000

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:07:37 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
> One of the things I am working on is cleaning out the
> entanglement of widget plugins.
The Augean stables of gnumed.

> Ian, I notice you are actively working on
> wxpython/gmDemographics.py. I can't remember why that file
> contains plugin code and why it references the "clinical
> window manager" (self.mwm) ? Can you help me out here ? Are
> those just remnants and can be removed ?
The plugin wxpython/gui/gmDemographicsEditor.py actually imports most of its
functionality
from this file. IMHO it should be moved back and wxpython/gmDemographics.py
should be retired.
 (the original intention was that plugins be fairly self-contained)

It references the clinical window manager as our [Richard's and my] intention
was that all
patient-related stuff (including demographics) went into this super-plugin.
ClinicalWindowManager was intended to showcase the 3 salient features of
Richard's VB client
        1- phrasewheels (which of course can be anywhere)
        2- two-column screen layout
        3- using small icons as tab markers (to accomodate a large number of
plugins)

IMHO we should dump gmClinicalWindowManager entirely and have single plugin
layer.
2 and 3 can be implemented in gmGuiMain as optional features via gmCfg, that
way everone is happy:
Horst gets his simple plugin framework, you and Sebastian get the status quo,
Richard and I get the
two-column layout across the whole client (which is what actually makes it
useful)

> Can we maybe use @domain::something@ on *all* placeholders ?
> Like: @py::Python code@ and @placeholder@ where the latter
> case kicks in when no specific domain syntax has been detected ?

I'm not sure we will ever need placeholder domains, as simple variables are
themselves Python expressions.
The other domain you suggested ("gnumedlets") for calling complex scripts
inside
a form, IMHO it would be better to add a method to the appropriate business
object to do
whatever complex manipulation.
However, I've no objection if  they are necessary, I have no idea what forms
you are dealing with.

> > >The only thing that doesn't work in this Gnumed.dmg is this "prepare
> > >database" script, maybe I will include my old horrible terminal script
> > >with it (the one which opens a terminal window asking you to enter 4
> > >yes and 4 passwords) so that you can still configure postgresql  in a
> > >more easy way....
> Again, the "yeses" can be avoided at the cost of having to
> figure out another way of providing the passwords to Pgsql.py
Granted, but why do we need to run the bootstrapper *3* times to get a working
database (4 if you want Australian extensions)
If there are no objections I will add a bootstrap-easy.conf file to our
collection of
conf files to do this in one go.
Then we can add a wxPython wrapper which asks for the root password in a pretty
dialogue box or whatever.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E