Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X easy install - feedback

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X easy install - feedback
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:37:53 +0200

Jim,

> - button position: OK seems awkwardly placed as the third button in; do
> we wish a convention in which the "confirmatory" (or most-often picked)
> button is either left-most or right-most, with additional conventions
> for placing the Cancel/Quit, help and options buttons
It would make most sense to me to place them

Ok (eg login)       Cancel          Options

but Richard had specific concerns as to why he wanted to place
them the way they are now. I must admit that I did not
understand those concerns. I am fine with changing.

> - button defaults: on the Mac it is possible to visually communicate a
> 'default" button which is accepted just by pressing Enter or Return -
> is this supported in wxPython/wxWidgets?
I would suppose it is. Someone needs to research that.

> - do Macs, Windows and Linux GUIs all have different terms for
> "leaving" a program (Quit vs Exit vs ?? Cancel)
quit/exit seem the same to me,
cancel is different, eg *abort* the current action, not
necessarily involving a clean and orderly shutdown

> - - did the choice of Cancel simply suit termination after launching
> from the command line and CVS in which case maybe Python remained
> loaded?
It should not remain loaded. Cancel means "cancel logging in".
It may take a second or two for Python to finish after the
login dialog goes away due to possibly waiting for threads to
rejoin and terminate (there shouldn't be any, really, though).

> Logging into Localhost:
> - problems with main GnuMed window appearance and behaviour
> - - (screen shot PDF "busserMacScrn20040229 attached)
> - - tabs are all crowded together, overlapping at extreme left of the
> screen, cannot be activated
> - - window inner work areas do not display except transiently as I
> click out, and back, into Gnumed. Almost the whole window is occupied
> by "XDT field" and "XDT work area" which will not yield to other
> clicks.
> - - along the bottom right of the window, date and time display and
> refresh correctly
> - if I resize the window to make it bigger, then I can see displayed
> "EMR dump, Guidelines, lab journal etc" beneath which is a status
> remark "Done".
We need a Mac developer who can work out which way wxPython
wants its statements to appear in the code. This will likely
also improve things on other platforms.

> If I click "lab journal" without a patient selected, the
> status line explains that no patient is selected.
As expected.

> However if I find and
> activate Kirk, James T and click lab journal, the status line does not
> refresh and I am still stuck with "XDT field" and "XDT work area" but
> no results.
It might take a while for the lab journal data to load.
Running with --debug should yield a few more clues, I suppose.

> - time from deleting "found" kirk and re-entering kirk and pressing
> <enter>: I gave up after 2 minutes
This should not require any time at all, really.

> [PANIC]
> (/Users/dom/Desktop/gnumed/GnumedLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gui/gmDemographicsEditor.py::GetWidget:27):
>  failed to instantiate gmDemographics.PatientsPanel
> [PANIC]
> (/Users/dom/Desktop/gnumed/GnumedLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gui/gmDemographicsEditor.py::GetWidget:27):
>  exception type : exceptions.TypeError
> [PANIC]
> (/Users/dom/Desktop/gnumed/GnumedLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gui/gmDemographicsEditor.py::GetWidget:27):
>  exception value: wxWindow, wxSizer, wxSize, or (w,h) expected for item
I attempted to fix that. Please update from CVS.

> [PANIC]
> (/Users/dom/Desktop/gnumed/Gnumed.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py::run_commit:727):
>  RW query >>>
>                       insert into clin_encounter (
>                               fk_patient, fk_location, fk_provider,
> description, fk_type
>                       ) values (
>                               %s, -1, %s, %s, coalesce((select pk from
> encounter_type where description=%s), 0)
>                       )<<< with args >>>[12, 3, 'auto-created Tuesday
> 2004-06-22 00:00', 'chart review']<<< failed
> [PANIC]
> (/Users/dom/Desktop/gnumed/Gnumed.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py::run_commit:727):
>  exception type : libpq.OperationalError
> [PANIC]
> (/Users/dom/Desktop/gnumed/Gnumed.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG.py::run_commit:727):
>  exception value: ERROR:  column "pk" does not exist
Your database on localhost is outdated. I am restricting
myself to less and less of those trivial name changes,
reserving them for times when they can be done safely.

>   File
> "/Volumes/gnumed/GnumedLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gmTopPanel.py",
>  line 242, in __on_patient_selected
>     self.combo_episodes.Append(episode['description'],
> str(episode['id_episode']))
>   File
> "/Users/dom/Desktop/gnumed/Gnumed.app/Contents/MacOS/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/business/gmClinItem.py",
>  line 68, in __getitem__
> Gnumed.pycommon.gmExceptions.NoSuchClinItemAttributeError: [cEpisode]: no
> attribute [description]
see above