Re: [Gnumed-devel] aoe/rfe/PIT

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] aoe/rfe/PIT
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:36:58 -0700

On Jul 4, 2004, at 9:43 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Someone care to send me the codes they'd use along with
a precise label for the coding system ? (like system,
revision, country, flavour, year etc.) I'd include that with
the test data.

re Codes they'd use...

in my current paper emr + electronic scheduling and billing mode, the main influence on coding system is my public payer's requirement to use icd9 though many know its limited clinical utility.

Is anyone using any coding system with which they are truly happy for clinical care? A link that I placed on the wiki (BillingBackground page) may be of interest:
http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/infselct.htm.

Post-1.0 a question might arise as to whether, in the back end, to provide space to enter/pre-enter a secondary code for items known or expected to be used for billing. It could be wise to enable whoever is doing the clinical coding to be able to decide/assign whatever is a suitable diagnostic code for billing, and this might be better done within gnumed and the appropriate code sent over along with the other details of the "billable items". I suppose it may be possible that different payors require different coding systems - maybe that is an Achilles heel in the idea.