Re: [Gnumed-devel] Easy database installer

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Easy database installer
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:27:43 +1000

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:50:38 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ian,
>
> > I have written a script which wraps the installation of the GNUMed database.
> > Go to http://gnumed.net/~ihaywood/ and try it out.
> I really like that you reused the code in
> bootstrap-gm_db_system.py by importing it. That is how I
> intended it to be used.
I had to hack it into shape a little bit: you can't have a "-" in a module name,
and it has to raise BootstrapErrors so the calling code can display meaningful
error
messages. Is it acceptable to fold these changes back into the main tree?

> Last time I tried the pyPgSQL people didn't even react to
> clearly documented patches posted on their list.
Take a look at the documented postgresql wire protocol:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/protocol.html
I agree with Horst, this doesn't look too hard.
I'm not sure how much of a speed penalty a pure Python module would impose,
given most of the work is converting datastructures from C to Python, which the
existing libraries have to do anyway.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E