Re: [Gnumed-devel] A question re demographics

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] A question re demographics
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:01:52 +0200

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 00:55, Ian Haywood wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:01:10 +1000
>
> What we really need is a postgres library to use the wxSocket () interface,
> this allows it to ask for a wxEvent every time data comes in from the
> network. This data is added to a buffer, if it is an incomplete row, it
> returns straightaway.
Do you mean wxSocket as in wxWidgets ? Does this mean this postgres connector
depends on wxwidgets being installed ? I am just wondering.
> If a complete SQL row has been received, it calls the associated callback
> for the query. Despite Sebastian's advice, I have experimented with the
> postgres wire protocol in Python, it really not hard at all. I attach an
> afternoon's work.
Ian,
Just to make this clear. I did not ever intend to tell you or anyone on this
list to do or not to do something. I am trying to comment on the suitability
of such a project from my perspective. This is to save/channel resources and
nothing else.

> The problem is all of our middle and frontend code currently assumes
> synchronous queries. The middleware API would have to change to pass a
> callback in, which is then called when the data arrives. Obviously this is
> all post 0.1 (hell, so should patient photos anyway, is anyone really
> snapshotting all their patients today? )
Noone I know of personally.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany