Re: [Gnumed-devel] one more vaccinations detail

From: E Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] one more vaccinations detail
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:22:28 +1000

On Friday 10 September 2004 22:45, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > Hep B isn't the best example for this, as the memory for this is
> > permanent regardless of the time involved (humoral?)
>
> Nah, precisely of this it IS a good example of what I am
> trying to ask:
>
> - 3 shots are required to acquire lifelong HepB immunity

I know what you are asking but hep b doesn't work that way.
One single shot immunises half the population. However many more shots they
get doesn't matter. We don't know who they are and who they aren't, so all
the population gets the next two shots, leaving 5% of the population not
immune.
Then we test - in doctors, nurses etc - and mark those who didn't respond.
Although the surface antibody level declines with time (mine is back to
undetectable) the immunity is humoral and persists. So officially I don't
have to have another shot - I did go positive initially (and had a few repeat
shots too) - because it isn't necessary
The official position elsewhere in the world may / will be different.

Your original question remains unanswered. In Australia the three shots can be
separated by any time, but the blood test needs to be done promptly at 4 to 6
weeks.
Liz