Re: [Gnumed-devel] What to do with information in popups

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] What to do with information in popups
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:53:34 +0100

> As in all information in the SOAP area it should not become medical records
> (I
> beleive) until accepted as such by the user and implicitly saved
I know this is your approach. I happen to see this a bit
different but that's entirely irrelevant to the problem.

The point is: When we enter details into a specialized popup
edit area/soap widget where do we keep the details (or where
do we drop them to) after dismissing the popup. Obviously one
would not want to keep all the details in an ugly parseable
string in the master SOAP widget. One would want a tiny
reminder ("Td booster") in the Plan field but one couldn't
care less about the injection site, batch number or vaccine
used. Nevertheless that info will need to be saved to the
vaccination table at some point in time. The question is:
*When* is that point in time ?

> It is not infrequent that we want to
> modify details as we write - just as we do in written clinical notes.
What do we modify when we change a written
clinical note ? We modify the already written (eg. saved)
to-be-previous clinical note. Exactly as we would if we edited
a saved-and-stored clinical note.

Unless, of course, you intend to *improve* upon the written
record by allowing for data in limbo.

Note that I am not saying your approach is any bad.