[Gnumed-devel] trade off utility with getting screens to crammed

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] trade off utility with getting screens to crammed
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:27:15 -0800

At 9:39 AM +1100 11/15/04, Richard Terry wrote:
For a rather extreme example of what happens
when you try and fit everything into the one screen area see the tkpf EMR
project screenshots:

http://tkfp.sourceforge.net/index.php?type=Screenshots&cat=8

I see what you mean...

I find in clinically practice one does not often refer to past history in
current consultations. When one does I either flick to my past history
section, or the summary screen.

The acceptable trade offs for info about the *current* patient should IMHO involve

- display of health_issues and episodes probably needs to be adjacent, not overlain on, the RFE/SOAP note or Richard's version -- either form hence dubbed an RSOAP note ;-). I suspect adjacency is important, because if there is overlap, the view is obscured when associating highlighted or demarcated text snippets to a particular episode and also I worry that a stray click will bring to the foreground a window which might then completely hide a smaller window (though I imagine th esoftware could prevent that)

- if other relevant *parts* of the patient info are not on-screen, then at least being able to *easily* (in one step i.e. one mouse-click, or one key press -- maybe an F-key depending on F-key mapping) "reveal" these other relevant "parts"