Re: [Gnumed-devel] emr questions

From: Carlos Moro
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] emr questions
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:22:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

 --- catmat <address@hidden> escribió:
> gnumed, whilst openehr looks
> like it's trying to fit the power of
> design-by-contract eiffel into a
> custom  (?unrealizable) dynamic model language,
> possibly hoping to leverage  the programmability of
> xslt ( or create
> more work for implementors to reach the power of
> xslt).

OpenEHR seems  built/is looking for (i don't know
enough about it, so please correct me) a completely
new modern programming paradigm, a kind of archetype
oriented programming. Their ideas are a try to avoid
or get free  (as many other approachs, AOP, etc...)
from limitations derived of rigidness of traditionally
object oriented systems, where 'business entities are
modelled directly in software and database models...'

As an approach, is proposed what Thomas Beale calls
'two level methodology', which is based upon 'the
separation of domain from the  technical concerns in
information systems. Practically, this translates
to:
• The removal of domain concepts from concrete
software and database models, into independently
managed, standardised vocabularies and libraries of
domain concept models.
• Re-engineering software and databases using a
generic reference object model (ROM) system
architecture, designed to process information by using
externally supplied domain definitions.'

This paradigm has been used in different projects
(Good Electronic Health Record, Synapses, Synex...),
also i think it's studied to be aopted as a standard
for EHR in CE (i don't remember the exact CEN code)...
it can be used both as internal health record system
kernel or for external communications (Synex,
Synapses) inter heterogenous systems in federated
health records... All of them seems in the
academic/research enviroment...

Personally, i really like the approach, although as
Kasrten commented before, there must be done a lot of
work for archetype programming support before
applications and systems can arise... even i ignore if
this invention will jump from its current milited
circles...

A really good introduction from its creator:
http://www.deepthought.com.au/it/archetypes/archetypes.pdf

An also:
http://www.openehr.org/FAQs/t_archetypes_FAQ.htm

Best regards,