[Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:43:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Ian Haywood wrote:

I would like to propose this more formally

This is not just a packager's issue, as it would largely replace our own Python bootstrapping script. [Of course there would be nothing to stop people from still using that script, but it would likely be left unmaintained]
Hmmm, why that?
YOur bootstraping script is fine and just has to be feeded by different
config scripts.  I personally see absolutely no influence here.

Advantages:-
- relieves maintenance of the bootstrapper and Psql.py, including connecting, making databases, etc..
        - debconf, with its various frontends
        - Andreas will probably do this anyway.
Yes, I'm working on it currently.

        - does upgrading, which we are yet to tackle.

Disadvantages:
- ties us to Debian, others need to run .sqls manually or use another script (which already exists for Cygwin, thanks to Syan)
You should *definitely* avoid to tie you to Debian only!
This is my honest believe because it makes no sense at all and is
absolutely not necessary because I see no connection between your
bootstrap script and the thing we do for Debian (see above).

- we need to control the order in which .sqls are run, does dbconfig-common do this?
No.  Your config files do this and this is the right way to go.

we would need 4 packages
        - gnumed-db-core
- gnumed-db-au & gnumed-db-de, the language extension packs, which depend on gnumed-db-core.
These three packages do exist.

        - gnumed-db-test (which depends on *gnumed-db-de*)
What is the sense of this package?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--