Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Latest progress with you SOAP stuff-CATCH22

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Latest progress with you SOAP stuff-CATCH22
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:14:21 +0100

> >I still wonder why. I certainly don't think the average doc
> >should be expected to install her own GnuMed system.
> I agree in principle.
> However the simple reality here in Australia is this policy means there
> will only ever be 3 gnumed installations (me, Horst, Richard).
> Commerical tech support here is still aggressively pro-Microsoft.
I ackowledge this as a valid concern but I am not sure it is a
0.1 concern.

> >as the DBA "experience" goes we are good ! The script verifies
> >a lot of conditions, allows for quite some customization and
> >keeps detailed logs (of course, you need to be able to make
> >sense of them but hey that's what you are paid for).
> My main gripe is having to type the password and "yes" 4 times,
Well, you could maintain your own config file that only needs
one run of the bootstrapper. Then you'd be asked only once.
And you could always put the passwords in ~/.pgpass.

> even as a DBA I don't see why
Because the reason for it is that it allows you flexibility in
what to install.

>, a good debian wrapper will fix this of course.
a $DEBIAN wrapper, hopefully

> Looking further ahead, the Windows and Mac guys will still want a GUI
> wizard-style installer, I'm happy to look after this, however we will
> need to rename boostrap-gm_db_system (even just to
> bootstrap_gm_db_system) so I can import the module.
Done.