[Gnumed-devel] Re: New public server up and ready for more GnuMedding...

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: New public server up and ready for more GnuMedding...
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:30:23 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, J Busser wrote:

Some months ago I generated a key pair and uploaded the public part to Savannah but had not as yet needed to use it. In the time that has since passed, I cannot even remember what I used for the password. Will I need to "know" that password,
Not really, except you want to log in into the server that stores the key. ;-)
To be honest, I guess you will have to create a new key ...

or is it needed only temporarily to generate the key pair?
No.

If in future I get to the point of being comfortable modifying anything appropriately within the TWiki directory and so try to connect via SSH, how does my private key get offered to Carlos's server - does this happen automatically so long as my private key file id_dsa continues to be kept in my "user' ("jb") home directory? --- and if I should move the private key, do I get prompted to provide the path/full file specification?
To log in you have to do

   ssh -i <path_to_your_id_dsa_file>
address@hidden<server_that_contains_id_dsa.pub>

You will be the prompted for the pass phrase.  BTW, ssh-add enables
you to input this password only once per session.

Also, should I generate a *different* key pair from what I used on Savannah, in which case how do I avoid the problem of duplicate names --- or it is permissible to name it something other than id_dsa, for example foo_dsa and foo_dsa.pub, i.e. the only requirement is that the name parts preceding the ".pub" exactly match?
It would work to use only one key pair, but it is advised to use different
ones if you belong to the paranoid part of mankind.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de