Re: [Gnumed-devel] S***t forgot the attatchment - Mims Agreement

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] S***t forgot the attatchment - Mims Agreement
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:44:49 +0100

> I've attatched a .rtf with an agreement. Margaret to her credit is concerned
> it is too formal and is happy to re-arrange some of the wording as long as it
> covers their copyright stuff, and still have it loose enough for us to
> download. The agreement needs to be distributed with the dataset to users.

I see the following points:

- we can only use the data in unmodified form
    - we would need to see the data in order to be able to say
      whether that has any impact
    - since the data comes in ASCII form (of whatever format)
      does that mean we cannot put it into a database ?

- we cannot licence the data
    - I assume what is meant is re-licence
    - I also assume that the purpose of this line is "you may
      not make money off the data"
    - companies selling services/stuff around GnuNed need to
      be careful

- we must not provide the data to other commercial entities
    - this is not possible to control
    - but MIMS can attach a sticky Restrictions-of-Use notice
      that would carry over to any downloaders prohibiting
      them to make money off of the data

- Indemnity
    - we can "defend" but not indemnify (eg not pay money to
      get CMPMedica out of jail)

Those points are just things we need to clarify, not
show-stoppers.