Re: Private Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: Private Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:23:16 -0800

At 7:47 PM +1100 2/21/05, Ian Haywood wrote:
Karsten wrote:
that dosn't fit AU, including some of the database table design.

Should there be anything in the schema that can not accomodate
AU needs I should like to know about it now.
Unified path/document tracking (which we have discussed at length I know),
is the only area where I think we've "lost out" to system closely matching German requirements
at the expense of ours.
We can use lab_report.fk_med_doc to "emulate" tracking but this is a big ugly hack
IMHO. Additionally I think lab_report could be better normalised (which would
solve both problems at a stroke, I attach an example)
What puzzles and (slightly) annoys me is I don't understand what's "Australian" about this requirement, I can't imagine any medical scenario where you wouldn't absolutely need it.

Sounds like it is not (just) Australian, sounds more like it is "non-German".

Karsten, you have seen this post of Ian's, but are maybe thinking about it before replying?

I must say that in the current version of my hospital's inpatient "EMR" the lack of integration is a nightmare. I truly worry that abnormalities can fall though the cracks. Lab results generated within the hospital are accessed under one tab, whereas results on specimens that had to be sent out (because our hospital does not do all tests) are not codified and so are accessed somewhere else. Radiology and pathology reports (textual) are accessed through yet other tabs. Even if each section *could* filter on reviewed_by_clinician (ours cannot), a doctor would have to first visit every area in order to decide if there was anything still unreviewed. And at patient followup, a reasonable patient request to have reviewed with them the various results received is again a big headache.

CREATE TABLE doc_med (
        -- all medical communications go here.

Ian, were you thinking that incoming communications like letters, consultation reports would also go here (i.e. not just the results of "tests". But not things like phone calls from patients or involved health care professionals because these would instead get SOAPed because the content is not 'sent" into the office but instead input *by* the gnumed user(s)?

PS should we rename this thread maybe to "results tracking" or "patient inbox"?