Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some suggestions to make gnumed more efficient

From: Christoph Becker
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some suggestions to make gnumed more efficient
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:25:42 +0100

Hallo Karsten,
 Dezign for databases imports an sql-schema via ImporterScript tool.  You can't run it against a running database.
Even more, because of some bugs in their ImporterScript tool,  a schema-file written with pg_dump has to be run through a filter first. For example character varying (n) has to be replaced with varchar(n).  It will need just a little playing around to bild a filter to make the gnumed schema usable.
However, I will install Suse 9.1 again on one of my PCs to play with gnumed. But I think, that a project like gnumed, which is aimed to be used by GPs should be  easy to  install on  windows  machines.  Nothing against Linux, but if you want to use speachrecognition (GP Daragon NatSpeak Prof. in the  first place, it works realy great),  RoteListe Windows and Quicken with Onlinebanking and have an account a the APO-Bank (which allows only T-Online-BTX), you have to have Windows . On Windows even PostgreSQL and PgAdminIII come with an easy installer.
It should be easy to install the gnumed backend on Windows when using a native Windowsport of  PostgreSQL 8 and it should be not to difficult to understand how the gnumed backend works and how it can be interfaced by a GUI.
If I get Gnumed running on Windows I will send you the scripts needed as well as the output of Dezign for Databases. But this may take some time.

Regards
Christoph Becker

Karsten Hilbert schrieb:
Hallo Christoph,

may I just tempt you to do one thing ?  :-)

Because of at least three bugs in the Dezign for Database Schema-import, ...

Is it possible to point Dezign for Database to a running
database ?

If so, can you connect to

db: gnumed
host: salaam.homeunix.com
port: 5432
user: any-doc
password: any-doc

Does that allow you to investigate the schema without having
to import it on your machine ?