Re: [Gnumed-devel] test requests and importing, BC (CA) anticoag pilot

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] test requests and importing, BC (CA) anticoag pilot
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:01:59 -0800

At 8:00 PM +0100 3/1/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 > MediNet provided info about their uncoded ASCII reports (see below)
 and are mailing me their paper HL7 documentation. While I await what
 type of server-based connection they might enable, I am thinking to
 download their Windows-only visual basic client for the clinic.
If that client can save to files on the hard drive that
alleviates the immediate need to write our own client. Just
dump the files to disk and run the GnuMed importer on them.

It would require that I put in place a Windows machine (the client is Windows-only). In order to position the saved files in order that the server can use them, would it be recommended to:

1) automate the Windows desktop to write the files onto the server or
2) create a shared directory on the Windows desktop from which the server would copy (and the server would, after a successful copy, delete the files from the desktop)

If as a result you have an EMR depending on a Windows desktop machine to keep running, is it a bad idea to have office personnel using that machine i.e. the desktop should be dedicated to serve the server?

And is the proper *long-term* solution to get a client written, so that one's gnumed server can get the files?