Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:28:50 +0100 (MET)

> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
>
> > GNUmed uses icons. These icons can either be *.png images (any directly
> > supported by wxwidgets directly) or a *.png image converted to a *.py
> file
> > by img2py.
> Personally I loathe this practice and would much prefer all client icons
> under
> client/bitmaps as separate files.
Right now it is pretty much up to the people on this list. Actually I don't
expect much input.

You stated what you prefer
I will go with one of them, no matter which one. I tend to like originals
better.

> I don't know of any advantages of embedding files in python code,
> the disadvantages you discuss. (namely, can't be edited)
img2py must have been written for a reason. I would like to see an editor
like that. I think I said that before but this would be beneficial to
everyone in the python community.

> But, like so many things, having to support both is far worse than either
> alone,
Absolutely

> so we should junk client/bitmpas if the majority want img2py.
Right now the majority is you and me :-).

> Wait, there *is* an advantage: if we stop scanning client/wxpython/gui for
> modules too,
> the client now has no need to hunt on the local filesystem for its own
> directory
> once PYTHONPATH is set up, this makes the packager's job slightly easier.
This sounds reasonable to me. I don't know if there is any speed penalty
with using py files. Maybe there even is an advantage because icons might be
stored in memory and reused.

> > I think not. I would store patient images in its original file format in
> the
> > database. Much like we do it with archive content right now.
> > This preserves exif information (date, rotation, shutter speed) from
> digital
> > cameras I hope.
> Correct. Patient images are a totally seperate issue.
That is what I thought.

> wxWindows is responsible for displaying them: again we as gnumed coders
> don't care what format they are in.
> wxWindows supports all the common formats.
Ah, good to know.

For the record. The minute I see a tool for handling images embedded in
python file I am for it. If not I would go for using originals.

Awaiting more input. I will make a decision in a week or so. Maybe earlier.

The decision making for GNUmed is still on. Right now it looks like I will
change all occurences I can find. Or is anybody else willing to do this?

Maybe someone with scripting skills ?

Sebastian

*
* help solving the protein folding problem
foldingathome.stanford.edu
*
* sign the linux driver petion :
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html
*

DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl