Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:30:03 +0200

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 07:49:44PM +1100, Tim Churches wrote:

> > Ah, so then you don't have standard e-mail set up on *your*
> > system. Standard e-mail in a UNIX environment means there's a
> > demon listening on port smtp (25, I think) that knows how to
> > deal with e-mail.
>
> That is only true for a server machine.
Not so. Exactly what IS a server machine in the UNIX sense ?

> It would be unusual to have an
> SMTP daemon listening on port 25 on a workstation machine.
I've always been running sendmail as a queuing demon even on my
laptops. The advantage is that there's a well defined API for
sending mail, namely SMTP. Whether the demon is started on
demand by intetd or is always running is a peripheral matter,
of course.

All this is hardly a matter worth discussing for 0.1, methinks.