Re: [Gnumed-devel] call for action

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] call for action
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:52:17 +0200

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:48:57AM -0700, David Grant wrote:

> The first thing that stands out to me is:
>
> 1) The documentation on the wiki is pretty much all there but it's a bit
> hard to navigate sometimes.
> 2) http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/DatabaseOnGNULinux
> containd some incorrect directories, like server/utils which I changed,
> but the main problem with this page is that it is confusing to know
> which conf file to use. And at first it says to do this:
No it does not. It says that it explains the process which
includes this:

> /bootstrap_gm_db_system.py --conf-file=<a config file>

We improved the page to clear up things.

> then, it says to do this:
>
> ./sh redo-public.sh
>
> Well if we look inside redo-public.sh, we see what it is really doing...but
> why all the confusion on this page.
Precisely because we were lacking feedback from people with no
context knowledge.

> Just tell us what to do any we'll do it. And calling 'sh' is silly when
> #!/bin/sh is in the file. That's just a little thing, but there are lots of
> little things.
Fixed.

> When I run, it the first thing I get:
>
> -(~/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/server/bootstrap:$)-> ./redo-public.sh
> create symbolic link `Gnumed' to `client'
> ================================
> re-bootstrapping public database
> dropping old database
> Database "gnumed" will be permanently removed.
> Are you sure? (y/n) n
> =========================
> making data for locale AU
> ./redo-public.sh: line 17: make-postcode-sql.sh: command not found
>
> and the first thing I notice is, "making data for locale AU," but I don't
> live in Australia....
I added a blurb to the beginning of redo-public.sh and also
the installation page so people can know why this happens and
what the significance is.

> It looks like in redo-public it is using bootstrap-de.conf
> and bootstrap-au.conf, which is curious to me why someone would
> want to configure for an AU locale and a DE locale.
Hm, how to express that. Those files don't *configure for* AU
or DE. They *add* locale data for those locations.

> Well, that's it for tonight! More fun next week when I get back.
Looking forward to that. Thanks for your input.