Re: [Gnumed-devel] Treatment plans more generally

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Treatment plans more generally
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 08:29:01 +0200

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 05:52:23PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> A patient's "current medication list" should contain all medicines
> whether available over the counter, or only by prescription. To my
> recollection, we have not discussed whether non-traditional (e.g.
> naturopathic) medicines belong on this list.
I guess yes.

> Does the schema yet
> allow for anything other than the current medication list, in which
> to hold "other" treatments?
Not yet apart from vaccinations. However, IMO the treatment
plan is just that, a *plan*.

The current medication list is one view over the treatment
plan, namely the drugs the patient is currently taking.

There may be an item within the plan that says "14d post-flu
reconsider pneumococcus vaccination". But that's just a
narrative line - possibly inside a dedicated treatment_plan
table. However, for now it's just a line in a soaP row of a
recent encounter. And in the current encounter we would browse
the previous encounter's progress notes to find out what was
done/was the plan. The tools for this browsing are at various
degrees of sophistication. Release 0.1 has two browsers so far
which both leave things to be desired. Richard offers a much
better integrated design for that. I have more "views over the
recent encounters" in mind, too, that quite immediately sprang
from testing GNUmed in real live.

> which are a preventative treatment. I am not sure if we have any
> place other than that. Treatments that fall among {procedures,
> operations}
Well, first they'll exist as part of the soaP rows to be
browsable. Later they might be re-recorded as done in another
soaP row. They might also show up in a health issue if that
makes sense (eg I am preparing Darth Vader test data currently
which includes health issues for post-op cyber limbs).
Eventually it may make sense to have a more formal treatment
plan in which items can be "scheduled" and later ticked off.