[Gnumed-devel] Nailing down my discomfort with episode etc

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Nailing down my discomfort with episode etc
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 19:28:42 +1000

Ok, Karsten et al,

You know from my numerous correspondances on the progress notes stuff for a
long time that it has not sat well with me, but I've never been able to
articulate why.

As I'm a visual person and not understood how the underlying data was
organised, I think in some ways I've mis-judged it by looking at the current
attempts to reproduce what has been put in (eg emr-journal/emr-dump), felt
they looked hideous, and threw up my hands in judgemental horror.

Looking a bit deeper at this today, its obvious that the emr-journal is
actually pretty good, and that it is only a matter of re-organising some of
its display and converting it to html to make it easier to understand. The
only current problem I can see with it is that it does not display separate
episodes on the same day  - it meshes them all in together ie all lines of
say three consultations on the one day are  grouped with all the Subjective
lines/ the object lines/the assessment lines/the plan lines, stacked on top
of one-another, rather than three separate SOAPs. Probably a mere detail of
re-organisation I suspect in the display.

I still don't see the point of the EMR dump perhaps you can explain it to me,
and the EMR tree doesn't work on my machine.

I've played with the progress notes module a bit and I think I can now
understand why the data input side  doesn't make sense to me, and it is
around my workflow and how I would normally record notes (and how Australian
GP's organise their notes - not just me - because we swap medical records
continuously and we all record things in a very similar manner.

At one extreme of a medical records system you would keep only free text and
the system would be intelligent to either concurrently or later through
queries, organise and present information to you in a slected manner. Eg in
this system, finding all the text occurrences of 'headache' would bring up a
html file listing all consultations containing that key board etc.

At the other extreme you try and enforce some sort of tagging on all
consultations, which is what I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you have been
doing with the gnumed clinical records backend.

There-in lies my difficulty. IE as many many consultations in practice are
undifferentiated, and not linked, we  may or may not write a summary or
episode name  for them, whereas the system as it stands is enforcing this
for each face to face episode, and it is this I find unweildy as you unless I
am mis-understanding it (if so correct me) you are enforcing the user to
write a clinical note which may or may not reflect the content of the
episode.

Does that make sense?

I've some other comments to make on the data-entry wigit itself, but will post
that in a different thread.

Richard