Re: [Gnumed-devel] Opening the debate re moving to 2.6 again

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Opening the debate re moving to 2.6 again
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 22:18:25 +0000

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:08, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> Certainly not. There is you and Ian and Syan and Horst and
> Carlos and ... You outnumber us by any proportion you care.
> You could go ahead do something about things.

Both Syan and me are currently active with "wagtail". It has highest priority
for a reason: Australia is sitting on the fence between open and proprietary
lock in situation for clinical secure messaging. A few companies hoping for
lucrative customer lock-in contracts from the government are lobbying away,
and the health minister is hellbound at making the final decision this very
year.

Tony Lemke, Syan, and I are trying to produce something workable soon as
possible; something we can demonstrate that it *works* as a free and
standards respecting alternative to costly lock in. Needless to say, the
secure messaging application can certainly be integrated into gnumed and will
be useful there too.

You can follow progress or even contribute at
http://ozdocit.org/websvn/listing.php?repname=wagtail&path=%2F&sc=0

Furthermore, I am trying hard to port my GUI frontend I wrote for medibase
(the EHR software I used in my own practice) and my replacement for pracsoft
(practice management software) to an independent Postgresql backend; most of
it will be easy to integrate into gnumed if my original modular design
philosophy (plugin architecture with central messaging hub to let the plugins
communicate with each other)
You can follow progress at
http://hherb.com/websvn/listing.php?repname=repos+1&path=%2Ftrunk%2F&rev=0&sc=0
(but currently it is broken, will fix in the next few days)
Things that may be of immediate interest for gnumed are some of my
"experiments" with printing
(http://hherb.com/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=repos+1&path=%2Ftrunk%2FgmInvoicePrinter.py&rev=0&sc=0

is wx based,
http://hherb.com/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=repos+1&path=%2Ftrunk%2FgmAUScriptPrinter.py&rev=0&sc=0

is generic postscript based)
and also the appointment booking module experiment which is functional (even
with the otherwise broken source tree) (just run gnumed.sql for the sql
directory first, then run gmDaybook.py after checking the code out)

So, I am not sitting around idly, but my foremost responsibility is my own
clinic which has to run - I have seven employees which all need bread on the
table, and 3,600 patients which need uninterrupted medical services, and I
had a deadline before my commercial software contract ran out (the new one
explicitly forbid reverse engineering and custom user interfaces / use of
their database with other interfaces and I was not going to sign that), so I
bolted a quick and dirty wxPython user interface onto the commercial database
system, and now I am porting it bit by bit to my generic postgres one

Horst