Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.1 on Windows XP

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.1 on Windows XP
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:53:30 +0200

On Sunday 11 September 2005 02:53, J Busser wrote:
> Well, I got GNUmed going on Windows XP :-)
You are the second or third one in two days. I actually made a doctor from
another mailing list happy. He has been trying to run GNUmed for some years.
Even ordered the KNOPPIX live CD without much gain.

> I have updated some of the wiki pages, for example linking from the
> Download page to the Preparing for GNUmed page. Also on the Installation
> page under Windows are some well-intended notes by a user which
> need to be cleaned up and make clear to me the page needs updating
> and correction on account of some things having changed (thanks
> Sebastian).
Thanks Jim

> Upon trying to run GNUmed, I waited and waited
> and... surely it could not take THAT long for even the client login
> screen to open... and I realized the batch file would not run correctly
> because in English, Windows' C: directory for programs is "Program
> Files" not "Programme". But neither substituting Program Files in
That should have worked
> quotations or escaping with a caret (^) would work, until after much
> searching I finally found something describing "8.3 versions of...
> filenames" which taught me that evidently one must use "PROGRA~1"
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/e/4/1e4b15b1-2253-492a-b59e-ddaec6
>c2e740/msvc.doc
Works but should not ne neccessary on Windows.

> So in two places in the batch file must be substituted PROGRA~1
>
>      set PYTHONPATH=..\;%PYTHONPATH%
>      set PATH=%PATH%;c:\\Python23
>      REM set LANG=de_DE
>
>      cd c:\
>      cd PROGRA~1
>      cd GNUmed-client
>      python ./bin/gnumed.py
>      --conf-file=C:\PROGRA~1\GNUmed-client\gm-0_1.conf --debug
There will be a version of GNUmed "compiled with py2exe". It will carry all
dependencies. No need to install python, wxpython ... by the time I get it
ready

Hint: Try substituting "python" by "pythonw" and it will run without the black
window. You loose the output though.

> How would a need for different batch files, depending on the
> version/language of Windows, be supported? As multiple
> batch files gnumed-en and gnumed-de where the user can
> delete what they don't need, if they don't like multiple versions
> peering at them from inside Windows'
> Start/Programs/Gnumed/ submenus?
I plan to take care of that inside the binary installer which will make sure
paths are correct. I will tyr to read the pythn path from the registry and
run it to see if I got it right.

There will be no need for this one the version packaged with py2exe will be
out.

> At first I could find no patients, neither Spock nor Kirk seemed to
> exist and I was forced into a "create patient" widget that I could
> cancel from.
Strange. Maybe the connection to salaam was just too slow

> I could not keep the tooltip open long enough to read all the options, I
> was hoping to see one to display all patients that existed (though
> Karsten said there are 10,000, is that true for the salaam db?) but I
> now realize there are only otherwise options to be shown recent
> patients, which would not yet exist in my client. It seemed I had to
> click the "in Praxis" popup to re-enable the tooltip, dunno if there
> would have been easier ways.
The tooltip should always be there. No need to reactivate it. Everything else
is a bug I believe. I plan to get the native postgres going end of October.

> For whatever reason, I was on my next try able to connect. Dunno
> whether, the first time, omething timed out to cause the client to
> *think* the patient(s) did not exist. Depending on my subsequent choices
> (EMR tree etc) it took 30 - 45 seconds,
Very long but part of this is due to wx2.6 issues which prevent timely display
updates. Keep an eye on it so we can fix it.
> sometimes more, to pull the
> data. WIll need to make that caveat prominent in the wiki for people
> (like me) connecting to the public database.
Yes. please.
> Also wondered if there
> should be something visual like "Working..." in the blank space,
> otherwise I would have thought Kirk had only some visits in 2000 when I
> sat watching his Progress Notes list very little and nothing in his EMR
> tree.
>
> The question-mark that exists for Spock's first name is concatenated
> immediately after his title (Capt.?) which is no different than for Kirk
> (Capt.James Tiberius Kirk) i.e. a space must be inserted in the code, yes?
Yes. I think Karsten made the change but my binary will client will not
reflect this until I package it again.

Could you please put a known issues section on the release page and mention
the two issues there ? That would be great. I won't update the packages befor
October I think. 5 weeks or so.

> Do we have any idea what is the problem with the date of birth field
> being rejected? I could not edit any of Kirk's info (I was going to add
> a space after his title, to see if it would show up in the concatenated
> name/search field) but could not, even though I left his date of birth
> unchanged. Plagued by the "Invalid date format" prompt.
Might be fixed in the code but not in the installer.

> Under the Patient menu, Edit Demographics jumps one right into the third
> demographic tab "Occupation" which does not seem very useful, would it
> better jump people into the first tab?
>
> Prior to activating any patient, I had clicked on a variety of tabs
> resulting in a status or feedback message at the bottom of the screen,
> something like "No active patient selected." However that message
> remained even after I did activate multiple patients.
Windows is amazingly stupid in this regard. We know about this issue and have
failed to correct it so far.

> A small thing but can we set the "P" in the tab of "progress notes" to
> upper case to make it visually consistent?

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany