[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed install made easy - maybe

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed install made easy - maybe
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:48:22 +0200

Hi all,

While we have had some testing on Windows boxes ( 5 reports so far) we have
had only a few reports about running GNUmed in Linux. I assume this is due to
the fact that currently we neither provide rpm nor debian packages. Or simply
because Tim is right and there are far less people running Linux than I
think.

Either way I am planning for the time after my examination and I am constantly
looking for ways to make GNUmed installation a piece of cake. Someone
recently told me by private mail that no matter what operating system users
don't install dependencies if they are not shipped with GNUmed.

This made me think. On Windows I have two options. Either use py2exe and
compile all dependencies into one big tarball or provide all dependent
packages via download or on a CD. I will experiment with this in October.
Let's see what I can come up with.

But what I am really here to tell you is that maybe on Linux we can be just as
smart or even smarter. One guy recently told me that while he doesn't have
any objections to free software the only way to get him to install (not use)
it was to make a *better* product than anything he is using so far.

Gosh I had to create the demo movie in 3 different formats before finally joe
average was able to view it. Guess it's true.

Now to the exciting part. If you are an ordinary user running Debian or
OpenSuSE , or KNOPPIX or Kanotix *please read this article and try it.

http://dot.kde.org/1126867980/

I would be happe to hear about your experiences to see if this is useful for
GNUmed or not. Again. This is for you end users - not developers. I really
appreciated your input. Well maybe there are no endusers on this developer
mailing list anyway but who knows.

Thanks for your time,
Sebastian
--